André Hakes is a dedicated criminal defense attorney at Tucker Griffin Barnes P.C. With more than 20 years of experience, including years spent as a prosecutor in Fluvanna and Louisa Counties, she is capable of taking on high-stakes and complex cases, such as Title IX campus sexual assault defense cases. The insight she gained as a prosecutor now allows her to better defend our clients today, as she can anticipate what the opposition will likely say and do.
Many of her cases have been highlighted by newsgroups on both local and national levels. For example, she successfully represented an anti-KKK protestor in Charlottesville who was charged with the felony of illegally wearing a mask in public. As it was proven through her casework, her client was merely covering her face to protect herself from the tear gas released over the area by the police.
She first received her B.A. from University of Virginia in 1993 before completing her J.D. at University of Virginia School of Law in 1996. When she is not busy working diligently on a client’s case, André can be found enjoying her hobbies, such as playing guitar and motorcycle riding.
- B.A. – University of Virginia (1993)
- J.D. – University of Virginia School of Law (1996)
Admitted to Practice
Publications & Speaking Events
- Shenandoah Criminal Justice Training Academy
- Virginia Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- Defending Criminal Cases in Virginia (contributor to Chapter 11, Trial)
Special Memberships & Other Activities
- Special Justice in Fluvanna County, Virginia
- Board of the Virginia ACLU
- Board of the Charlottesville Albemarle Bar Association
- Board of Virginia Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers (current)
- Straight Talk 94.7 FM WPVC radio host