When large trucks and cars collide, the driver and passengers in the car often suffer severe injuries. Accidents that are caused by the actions or negligence of another party—including truck accidents—may result in a personal injury claim. The Staunton truck accident attorneys at Tucker Griffin Barnes can investigate your situation to determine who is responsible. Our firm can fight for fair compensation for your injuries, pain, suffering, and other damages.
Common Causes of Truck Accidents
Common causes of truck accidents may include:
- Driver Fatigue: Long hours on the road may result in driver fatigue, impairing a truck driver's capacity to react quickly and make sound decisions.
- Distracted Driving: Just like any other driver, truck drivers can become distracted by using mobile phones, adjusting radios, or engaging in other activities while driving.
- Speeding: Trucks demand more time and distance to come to a stop compared to smaller vehicles. Speeding increases the likelihood of a severe accident.
- Mechanical Failures: Poorly maintained trucks can experience mechanical failures such as brake malfunctions or tire blowouts, contributing to accidents.
- Overloaded Trucks: Trucks carrying excessive loads are more difficult to control, increasing the chance of accidents, especially on steep or winding roads.
- Inadequate Training: Insufficient training for truck drivers can result in a lack of awareness about safety protocols and proper driving techniques.
- Weather Conditions: Adverse weather conditions, like rain, snow, or fog, can create hazardous road conditions, making it more difficult for truck drivers to preserve control.
What Damages Could Be Recovered in a Truck Accident Claim?
Injuries sustained in truck accidents often require extensive medical treatment, surgeries, rehabilitation, and ongoing care. Insurance adjusters often attempt to get victims to accept the lowest possible settlement. It is important to make sure that the compensation you receive is sufficient to cover your medical bills, lost wages, future medical care needs, and other expenses. For this reason, you should speak to an attorney before considering any settlement offer.
Depending on the unique circumstances involved in your accident, you may be able to recover compensation for the following:
- Immediate emergency medical treatment
- All medical care related to injuries sustained in the accident
- Ongoing pain management, rehabilitation therapy, and medication schedules
- Medical equipment, such as wheelchairs, and/or the cost of upgrading your home
- Lost income/wages
- Reduced or lost earning capacity/disability
- Pain and suffering, including emotional distress
Our attorneys can evaluate your case, determine the cause of the accident, and identify the responsible party, whether it’s the truck driver, the trucking company, or some other party. We fight to help you recover fair compensation for your damages and will handle the legal aspects of your case so you can focus on healing and recovering from your injuries.
What is the Statute of Limitations for Truck Accident Claims in Virginia?
In Virginia, there is a limited timeframe within which a truck accident victim can file a legal claim, known as the statute of limitations. The statute of limitations for truck accident cases in Virginia is typically two years from the initial date of the accident.
Prompt action is crucial in building a strong case, as evidence may deteriorate or be lost over time. By consulting with our Staunton truck accident attorneys, you can ensure that your claim is filed within the needed timeframe, maximizing your chances of receiving fair compensation for your injuries, medical costs, and other damages.
Contact Our Truck Accidents Lawyer in Staunton Today
In addition to the truck driver, there are several other possible sources of compensation in truck accidents, depending on the situation. When a trucking company has policies that jeopardize safety, the company may be legally responsible for damages. Our Staunton truck accident lawyers seek out all possible sources to recover maximum compensation for our clients.
If you were injured or a loved one was killed in a truck accident, call (540) 328-2808 to speak with our Staunton truck accidents attorney at Tucker Griffin Barnes P.C. Attorneys At Law about your case. All initial consultations are completely free and confidential.
"Ms. Hakes, Thank you so much!"Criminal Defense Client
"Yvonne and her staff are very competent and trustworthy and they went above and beyond in their service to my family member."Personal Injury Client
"I truly appreciated your perspectives & advice throughout this process."Personal Injury Client
A Vigorous Commitment to Lower CostsWe work hard to keep our rates lower than our peers.
A Dedicated Focus on Client ServiceWe promptly return phone calls, provide play areas for your children during office visits, and when you need us, we'll visit you at home or at the hospital.
A Deep Knowledge of the LawExpertise matters. Most of our attorneys concentrate in only one or two areas of the law.
A Strong ReputationWe're respected attorneys who live to fight and win for our clients.